Monday 31 December 2012

Day 18: Philemon

Estimated Reading time: 5 mins
Biblical text (choose the version you like): http://isv.scripturetext.com/philemon/1.htm

Does genre matter?
The format of the letter:

1. Name of the writers 
Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ and Timothy our brother” (1:1)

2. Name of the recipient 
“To Philemon our dear friend and fellow worker, to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our
fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home:” (1:1) 

3. Greeting
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ” (1:2) 

4. Prayer wish or thanksgiving
4I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, 5because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. 6I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. 7Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.” – (1:4-7)

5. Body of the letter 
Philemon 1:8-22

6. Final greeting and farewell 
“Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings. 24And so do Mark,
Aristarchus,DemasandLuke,myfellowworkers. 25The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Taken from http://mattdabbs.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/life-paulsprisonletters.pdf
 Note: This site has bible studies for all the prison letters which you may like to try if you have time today.

No comments:

Post a Comment